Thursday, March 20, 2008

A magnet for TV stars

Most of you who know me know that I travel about monthly out to LA for work. Our headquarters is out there so I frequently go there for meetings and to work with co-workers. From time to time I'll see famous people in airport and sometimes even on my flight...for example for you MTV Real World buffs (or now WWE buffs), "The Miz" sat a few rows back from me a year or so ago. Well my last two flight have found me having even closer brushes with fame. On my way back a month or so ago I was sitting in the middle section of a 777 with the middle seat open. I looked over and saw Cooper...well Cooper from Private Practice (also known as Paul Adelstein). I let him have his privacy for most of the flight but as we decended into Chicago I decided enough was enough. We talked for maybe 20 minutes about the strike, the show, my job (haha), and a few other things. He was a really cool, down to earth guy.

Well yesterday I am in line at one of the few good restaurants in the United terminal at LAX and I look back and see Bernie Salazar. Who's Bernie you ask? Well Bernie is (now was) one of the contestants on "Biggest Loser" a show Meg and I got into this year while the strike going on. I knew he was from Chicago so I figured he was on my flight. I gave him a chance to eat his meal and as the plane was getting ready to board, I made my move. "You're Bernie right?" He replied, "Yeah man, hows it going?" We proceeded to talk for about 10 minutes about his life after the show and how things are going with his weight loss. He looked REALLY good when you consider what he looked like about 3 months ago...though he WAS suited up (as was I. He was in town trying to capitalize on his newfound fame (who could blame him) so keep your eyes open for him next year, sounds like something is in the works. He still keeps in touch with the trainers (though not in person) and Brittney, his former partner. In fact, he had just hung up with her when I approached him! haha

Anyway, I know he's not really a STAR, but anytime you run into someone that you spend weeks watching on TV and cheering for its kind of fun. Bernie, by the way, is a big fan of people coming up and talking to him. He says he really likes hearing that people are cheering him on...its funny cause sometimes you forget that this is really just real life for them. He got a chicken caesar salad minus the dressing for anyone who cares...yeah I was watching! haha

So it looks like the good luck will continue on my flights to/from LA. Anyone who wants to meet some TV stars (big and small) should come along with me...it sure makes the traveling more interesting!! All I know is I plan for my next flight to be legen... wait for it... dary!

3 comments:

Beth said...

Well isn't that fun! I had no idea that you get to speak with as many "famous" people as you do.

Jennifer Mulvihill said...

Good times! It reminds me of the time Josh and I saw Jimmy Fallon when we were shopping in Grenwich Village. Not too many celebs hanging out around here, I mean, unless you're star struck by seeing the local weather man or something... :)

Rachel said...

Love the How I Met Your Mother reference at the end! haha -- Barney. Rubbing elbows with celebs...that's pretty crazy all the people you've met!