Thursday, October 16, 2008

Addison is going to be a naughty girl I think...

Addison has been quite the active baby in utero. So yesterday afternoon around 2 when she had not made much movement all day (even after eating lunch and lying on my left side for a while), I got a bit concerned and called my OB to see if I should be seen. I got an appointment to be seen 40 minutes later.

The heartbeat was normal using the fetal stethoscope. (I am certain there is a medical term for this, but surprisingly it is one that I do not know, so I'm calling it a fetal stethoscope.) I was then hooked up to a monitor for a fetal nonstress test (or NST). In order to pass that test, Addison was to have two spikes in her heartbeat along with uterine movement concomitantly in a 20 minute time period. She only had one of those such spikes.

So I was sent to St. Johns to labor and delivery to be hooked up to the NST monitor again until I could be seen for a biophysical profile (or BPP, which is an ultrasound to detect certain movements and measure amnoitic fluid). My OB told me that if I scored an 8/8 I was good to go home, a 6/8 would most likely mean daily monitoring, and anything less than that "we'd have to have a talk," meaning possible induction STAT. Well thankfully when I was hooked up for the NST in the hospital, Addison decided to wake up and move about like nothing had ever happened. Why she couldn't do that a few hours previous is beyond me! My OB still wanted me to have the BPP anyway just to ensure Addison wasn't being asphyxiated in anyway. I, or rather Addison, scored an 8/8, and we were good to go home.

After the incident, Trevor and I decided we needed to get our butts in gear and pack those overnight hospital bags that were supposed to be packed a few weeks ago. So we went to Target, spent over $160, and came home and crashed. We can now say that, except for the car seat not being in the car yet, we are now as ready as we can get for whenever Addison does join us. We are hoping sooner rather than later at this point.

Lessons learned:
1. Addison is a very sleepy girl. She takes after her mommy.
2. Addison is a very naughty girl for scaring us like that. She takes after her daddy.
3. If you need confirmation of the gender, just tell your OB you haven't felt the baby to get another ultrasound. Addison is indeed a girl.

Extra information:
On a side note, I was dilated to 1 cm at my regularly scheduled appointment on Monday.

ADDENDUM--POLL:
Since the two people closest to me (my husband and Beth) seem to disagree with which parent is the naughtiest, we are going to have a poll. Please see the upper right hand corner of our blog and vote accordingly. Thank you.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are so glad that Addison is all right! We can't wait to meet her! I think being naughty might be a character trait of yours (Meghan), though, not Trevor :)

Meghan Rasmussen said...

Who asked for your opinion Beth :)

Unknown said...

That Beth girl is a pretty smart girl I think! It was neat to see Addison in there so late in the pregnancy! I can't wait to meet her!!!

Jeannie and Doug Corcoran said...

I say...prayer works...yesterday....before yesterday...today...tomorrow and in all circumstances

Patrick said...

This is really Susan - I'm too lazy to switch profiles:)

Glad everything went well at the hospital although I was hoping to wake up with a picture of Addison in my inbox!

Patrick said...

I'm glad that everything is back to normal. Can't wait to see Addison on skype!

Anonymous said...

We are so thankful everything turned out well. Prayer is powerful. As for who is naughtier?? We will leave that up to the voters! Addison will be such a blessing in your life. We are so anxious to meet her. She is prayed for by name and we love her already!

Eric Scott Sheldon said...

Oh, Meghan, I have to admit that I think you are outrightly naughtier but that Trevor possesses an inward naughtiness that is not as easily caught! I am so thankful that Addison is doing well, and we will continue to keep you in our prayers.

Mark said...

I didn't get to vote as the poll was closed, but I'd say Meghan is too although we've never met :) T-Ras is too nice to be naughty anyway :p